Two Women Injured in Failed Mass Kidnapping in Zamfara

By Chioma Eze/ 18 Aug 2026(updated 46m ago)/ 2 min read/ 17 views
Two Women Injured in Failed Mass Kidnapping in Zamfara
Sponsored — In Article

Two women were shot as troops stopped an attempted mass kidnapping by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, the military reported.

The Joint Task Force North-west, known as Operation Fansan Yamma, said they rescued nine civilians, including a baby, during the incident on Sunday.

In a statement on Monday, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, the spokesperson for the operation, said troops acted quickly after they got a distress call about suspected terrorists attacking civilians on a local road.

Mr Danja explained that early intelligence suggested the attack might have been revenge for the recent arrest of suspected accomplices linked to the terrorist group.

He added that troops had previously stopped these suspects while they were allegedly trying to buy motorcycles and petrol for the armed group.

The military did not reveal how many suspects were arrested, when it happened, or where.

According to Mr Danja, the attackers, believed to be led by a man named Mallam Shuaibu, hid in a millet farm and shot at cars passing by.

The shooting made some drivers lose control and veer off the road, he said.

"Responding quickly to the distress call, troops of Sector 2 went to the area and engaged the terrorists, stopping them from carrying out the abduction," the statement said.

The military mentioned that the attackers ran away into the nearby forest after the clash.

Troops rescued nine civilians after the incident, including the infant.

Two women who were shot during the attack were taken for treatment, Mr Danja said, but he did not provide updates on how they were doing.

The statement did not explain if the nine civilians were taken by the attackers before the rescue or if they were saved right at the scene.

It also did not mention whether any terrorists or soldiers were killed or hurt in the clash.

PREMIUM TIMES has reached out to Mr Danja for more information on these points.

Meanwhile, the military stated that Operation Fansan Yamma will keep working against armed groups in the North-west.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
C
Chioma Eze

Founder & EIC. Lagos-based.

More Like ThisHot Gist

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇