Army changes security plans in Sokoto after Kebbe attack

By Chioma Eze/ 17 Aug 2026(updated 24m ago)/ 2 min read/ 16 views
Army changes security plans in Sokoto after Kebbe attack
Sponsored — In Article

The Nigerian Army has changed its security plans around Kebbe Local Government Area in Sokoto State. This comes after an attack on Friday and intelligence reports that the terrorists involved are still nearby.

The change was made after a visit on Sunday by Major General Bemgha Koughna, the General Officer Commanding of the 8 Division. He went to the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe and nearby communities to assess the situation.

Initially, the army said the visit was due to reports of a “renewed attack” on the Ungushi community in Kebbe LGA. But Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba, who is the Acting Deputy Director of Army Public Relations for the 8 Division and Sector 2 of Operation FANSAN YAMMA, later told PREMIUM TIMES that the military had intelligence confirming the terrorists were still close by.

“There was an intelligence report that the terrorists were still close by,” Osoba said. He clarified that there was no indication of a separate attack in Ungushi.

The Army explained that Koughna adjusted the security setup to stop more terrorist infiltration and to strengthen protection around vulnerable communities along the Sokoto-Kebbi route. During his visit, the GOC spoke with community leaders and residents to understand their security concerns.

The army said Koughna assured the residents that troops are deployed and ready to protect lives and property. He encouraged residents to stay calm and keep going about their daily activities while cooperating with security personnel.

The GOC also urged residents to share credible information about any suspicious activities. He stressed that community intelligence is key to spotting and stopping terrorist actions.

Kebbe attack

The military response followed the attack on Kebbe town by suspected Lakurawa fighters on Friday. PREMIUM TIMES reported that the Sokoto State Police Command confirmed the attack and said reinforcements were sent to the area.

Police spokesperson Ahmad Rufa’i told PREMIUM TIMES that no civilian was killed or injured, and there were no casualties among police personnel. However, there were claims that four soldiers died in the confrontation.

Osoba had earlier declined to confirm or deny these reported deaths, citing military security protocols. The army's statement on Sunday did not mention whether any soldiers were killed or injured during the Kebbe attack.

Terrorists reportedly remain in the area

The army's assessment around Ungushi came after reports that the attackers had moved towards communities west of Kebbe after the assault. Sokoto-based security analyst Bashar Altine noted that the attackers were seen around Ungushi after leaving Kebbe.

PREMIUM TIMES could not independently verify their movement at that time. However, Osoba’s clarification on Sunday indicated that the military did receive intelligence that the terrorists are still close to the area.

The army stated that the security adjustment aims to prevent further infiltration and protect communities around Kebbe and nearby areas. Security forces have been carrying out operations against Lakurawa and other armed groups in Sokoto, Kebbi, and other parts of the North-west under Operation FANSAN YAMMA.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
C
Chioma Eze

Founder & EIC. Lagos-based.

More Like ThisHot Gist

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇