NFF fires Super Falcons coaches after World Cup exit

By Chioma Eze/ 17 Aug 2026(updated 1h ago)/ 2 min read/ 22 views
NFF fires Super Falcons coaches after World Cup exit
Sponsored — In Article

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has told the Super Falcons' technical crew to leave immediately after the team's failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

This decision came in a short statement on Monday, just four days after the Falcons lost 2-1 to South Africa in the WAFCON play-off held in Morocco.

“The Executive Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation has asked members of the technical crew of the @NGSuper_Falcons to step down with immediate effect.”

This defeat ended Nigeria’s chances of getting to the 2027 World Cup and broke the Falcons’ record of qualifying for every tournament since it started in 1991.

Before the NFF made the announcement, Justine Madugu had already apologized to Nigerians. He took responsibility for the team's poor performance in Morocco.

“I have to apologise to Nigerians over our inability to make it to the World Cup. We are very sorry. It was not our intention.

“We came, did the best that we could, but our best was not good enough.

“And we’re very sorry for that, and we take full responsibility for everything that happened. There can always be a next time. I’m sorry,” Madugu said.

Nigeria had another chance to qualify for the World Cup after losing 1-0 to Cameroon in the WAFCON quarter-finals.

But South Africa took advantage of Nigeria’s missed chances and defensive errors. Thembi Kgatlana scored the first goal in the 56th minute, and Refiloe Jane added another 21 minutes later.

Christy Ucheibe managed to score a penalty in stoppage time after a VAR review. This penalty was awarded to Nigeria, and Jane received a red card.

The Falcons could not find an equaliser as South Africa held on and progressed to the intercontinental play-off.

Madugu pointed out that Nigeria's failure to convert chances was very costly.

“We had chances. Still, the conversion was another problem. And we made some little errors at the back. They capitalised on that, and they got the goals that they also got,” he said.

Fact-finding committee

Meanwhile, the NFF has set up a six-member Fact-finding Committee to look into the recent poor performances of Nigeria’s national teams. They will pay special attention to the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

NFF President Ibrahim Gusau has tasked the committee to find the direct and indirect causes of the setbacks and propose solutions. The committee has two weeks to finish and submit its report.

Former NFF General Secretary Fanny Amun will lead the committee. It includes former Super Falcons captain Desire Oparanozie, ex-Super Eagles captain Mutiu Adepoju, former Flying Eagles coach Ladan Bosso, ex-FIFA referee Alex Mana, and former Nigeria international Nasiru Jibril, who serves as secretary.

Amun has promised that the committee will talk to relevant stakeholders and look at submissions from the public before finishing their report.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
C
Chioma Eze

Founder & EIC. Lagos-based.

More Like ThisHot Gist

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇